Sunday 16 September 2012

To Zine or not to Zine...

Size matters - I've been running it over and over in my head about size and shape and paper type and inks and printing costs and binding costs etc., etc.  I would love to make this the most beautiful Magazine that ever was, but I need to face facts that ability and budget are constricting.  Ability I can work on, not so much the budget...  Having always had an A5 size in mind it suddenly occurred to me that if I was clever about it, there's no reason why I couldn't print them myself - it can still be A5 but just more like a hand-made Magazine - a Zine in fact.

So then I started thinking about a Zine for children, why not?  If anything it makes it more current, more accessible, more affordable for both the maker and the buyer and a Zine can always grow up into being a Magazine if that's the way it was destined to go.  Another exciting development.

So I've started doing some research and I think there are a few Zines for kids out there - but it definitely needs to be explored some more.  In the meantime I'm going to be forging ahead with the Zine dream in mind.  Now the only problem I have is the title - Piccolo Zine doesn't look nearly as good as Piccolo Magazine... time for a rethink on the font?

No comments:

Post a Comment